Nothing precise is known about the status and position of the Assembly Secretariat that existed from 1952 to 1956. The branch of Govt. Secretariat looking after the Council proceedings, Committee meetings and other jobs relating to Members of the Territorial Council eventually became nucleus of the Assembly Secretariat when the latter was revived in July, 1963. The financial and administrative powers of Head of the Department were delegated to Assembly Secretary in 1964. From Ist April, 1964, the salary and allowances of the officers and staff came to be drawn by the Assembly Secretariat and debited to "18-Parliament, State and Union Territories", thereby separating it from the Govt. Secretariat control in this respect. However, the officers and staff continued to be borne on the strength of the H.P. Govt. Secretariat and the powers of appointment, transfer and staff accretion, continued to be exercised by the Chief Secretary and other authorities subordinate to him in the Govt. Secretariat. Since 1974, H.P. Legislative Assembly has a separate secretarial staff. As envisaged under Article 187 (2) no Act has so far been passed to regulate the recruitment and conditions of the service of persons appointed to secretarial staff. However, The Governor after consultation with the Speaker has made Rules in 1974 regulating the appointment to the secretarial staff of the Assembly. The power to create posts continue with the Govt. while appointments to any created posts can be done by the Speaker in accordance with the Service Rules. He can, and has delegated this power respecting all categories excepting Class-I officers, to the Assembly Secretary. All the appointments are outside the purview of the State Public Service Commission and Subordinate Service Selection Board. Likewise the Jurisdiction of the State Administrative Tribunal does not extend to the Assembly staff. Hence, H.P. High Court continues to exercise its jurisdiction. The Rules also provide that before an officer is considered for promotion to the post of Under Secretary or equivalent post, he must qualify a departmental examination. However, the examination is to be conducted by the Secretariat itself, according to the syllabus prescribed by the Speaker. For the purpose of training, the officers and other subordinate staff are deputed either to the H.P. Institute of Public Administration or to the Bureau of Parliamentary Studies & training, Lok Sabha Sectt., New Delhi, whenever, a particular Training course is found to be relevant to the needs of this Secretariat. To meet the ever-growing accommodation requirement, initially a small two storied building, named after Vithalbhai Patel, was added to the Council Chamber building, which now houses the Bank, the security guards room etc. Few more rooms were added in the corridor connecting the main building and the Vithalbhai Bhawan. However, a bigger project was undertaken when the Planning Commission approved an allotment of 55 lacs for building an independent Library Complex. Its foundation stone was laid by Shri K.S. Hedge, the then Lok Sabha Speaker, on 27th October, 1979 and it was completed at a cost of more than one crore in 1983-84. Besides housing Library, Research and Reference services it has got three lounges (for the Ruling and Opposition parties) and three Committee rooms. The Secretary of the Assembly also sits in this building.